1. If your tattoo was bandaged, remove the bandage after 1-3 hours, DO NOT put any other bandages on your tattoo while it is healing.
2. Wash immediately with hot water and Cetaphil gentle cleanser (blue top). Be sure to wash away any flecks of blood and ointment left on the tattoo. When finished washing, rinse your tattoo in cold water. Repeat the washing process three times daily until your tattoo is completely healed.
3. When you arrive home make sure to change your bed sheets and put on the older ones. It is completely normal to push out some pigment while you sleep and you may end up with a imprint of your new tattoo on your sheets. Make sure to keep all pets and animals out of your bed while your new tattoo is healing.
4. On the third day of healing, begin to put a SMALL amount of Cetaphil moisturizing lotion (green top) on your tattoo 2-3 times a day. Wipe away any visible lotion from your new tattoo with a clean, dry paper towel. Always use lotion from a pump dispenser and never a tub. DO NOT use Neosporin, Bacitracin, Triple antibiotic, Vaseline, or any other petroleum-based ointment.
5. Your new tattoo will get a thin layer of scabbing or peel like a heavy sunburn - this is totally normal. DO NOT pick, poke, slap or scratch your tattoo during this time. You need to let any scabbing come off on its own. Any scabs that you pick off will create holes in the healed tattoo.
6. For the first two weeks after getting tattooed, you should NOT soak in water of any kind. NO bathtub, hot tub, swimming pool, or sauna. You should also wait at least 30 days before tanning or sun bathing.
7. Remember that your new tattoo, while healing, is an open wound. Keep it clean and treat it as such. If you believe you have an infection, seek medical attention immediately.